What you will do
This City Wonders exclusive takes you to the Churchill War Rooms in a hidden bunker beneath London, where the prime minister and his aides planned their victory over Hitler. Our expert guide will also give you the stories behind Westminster, 10 Downing Street, Big Ben, and Houses of Parliament.
Learn about some of the most important events in recent history and hear stories of great personal sacrifice and triumph on our Churchill War Rooms tours. We combine guided Westminster tours with a visit to Churchill War Rooms to give you a taste of what life was like in London during World War II. With an expert local guide on hand throughout (specially chosen for their passion and knowledge of this fascinating time), you’ll travel through the political heart of London getting acquainted with one of its most controversial leaders and with the personal stories that bring history to life.
We start with a guided walking tour of Westminster. Here you’ll explore British politics at 10 Downing Street and hear an introduction to Winston Churchill, a coarse man who inspired love and hatred in equal measures. Your guide will tell you about his close relationship with President Roosevelt and about how the two leaders worked closely together to defeat Hitler. You’ll see Westminster Abbey, the iconic clock at Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and the Cenotaph – the national monument for victims of war.
- Westminster was the base for the exiled government and its spies, who gathered here to plot the overthrow of Hitler and his fascist allies. We’ll take you to the heart of this underground world when you visit the Churchill War Rooms. Left exactly as they were in 1945, with pots still on stoves, maps hung on walls, and beds made up and ready for Churchill and his ministers, these corridors offer a glimpse into that tense time. You’ll use the official audio guide to hear speeches by Churchill and personal testimonials from those who worked here. You’ll see original furnishings like the special sun lamps they used to ensure that they got enough Vitamin D and the meeting rooms where D-Day was planned.
- You'll learn about the the men and women who risked their lives to work here, patching through transatlantic calls to President Roosevelt and carefully plotting the routes of the Allied forces. Of course the biggest character in this story is Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
- Using the fantastic interactive displays at the Churchill Museum – including video excerpts, original radio broadcasts, newspaper caricatures, and testimonials – your expert guide will teach you all about the man behind the overthrow of Hitler. Famous for his inspirational (and often irreverent) speeches, Churchill is a man whose words you won’t soon forget.
Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
2 hours 30 minutes
London, United Kingdom
Provided byCity Wonders
It all began in 2004 by developing an innovative tour to take a small group of visitors on a walk around historic Rome and share stories that they would never hear otherwise, such as the “dark” legends that ironically bring the Eternal City to life. Dark Rome grew rapidly to become one of the largest tour companies in Italy.
Through strategic relationships, such as our official Vatican Museums partnership, we are able to provide unique experiences for our guests, including no wait entry, early access to the Sistine Chapel, and access to highly-coveted areas of the Vatican Museums that are normally closed to the public – benefits that competitors are not able to offer. Innovative high quality tours with unique customer benefits, stellar guides who deliver tours in only one language (not multiple languages on the same tour), small group sizes, and world-class customer service are hallmarks of our brands and differentiate us in the marketplace. In addition to English, many tours are now offered in Spanish, French, German, and Portuguese.
Following on the success of Italy, the company launched tours in Paris a few years later. We invested heavily in our infrastructure, including a new technology platform and recruiting leaders with the right skills and experience to scale our business globally.
In 2014, ten years after the company was originally founded, it was renamed to City Wonders. In addition to adding more product offerings throughout Italy, Vatican City, and Paris, City Wonders expanded to London.
City Wonders operates two additional brands: Dark Rome and My Parisian Tour. Our tours are sold to consumers via the web and through over 50 major travel distributors worldwide.www.citywonders.com
Terms & Conditions
- The coupon will be valid for 12 months from the purchase date.
- General cancellation policy applies.
- This coupon is under general terms and conditions.