What you will do
You will go to the favelas of Vila Canoas and Rocinha, the largest one in the country. Picturesque from a distance, once closer they reveal their complex architecture, developing commerce and friendly people. Most Samba Schools participating in the Carnival parade come from favelas. The tour changes their reputation of areas related only to violence and poverty. Don't be shy, you are welcome there, and local people support your visit.
9:00 a.m. / 2:00 p.m. - Hotel pick-up in air conditioned mini van. Introduction comments about the context of favelas in Rio city and Brazilian society.
9:30 a.m. / 2:30 p.m. - Arriving in Rocinha, welcoming, explanation about the architecture, public services, carnival, etc.
- Going to a local terrace, pause for pictures of a breathtaking view over Rio, talks about the security, local infrastructure and other aspects of favelas.
- Driving down through the "Estrada da Gávea", a former F1 race track.
- Stop at the Rocinha Handcraft Center.
- Visiting the commercial area.
10:30 a.m. / 3:30 p.m. - Arriving in Vila Canoas, visiting the "Para Ti" community school. This social project is financed by the tour. Besides regular classes, the school teaches local kids initial computer skills and the art of making handcrafts that can also be purchased by the visitor.
- Walk through the community.
- Optional stop for a drink in a local "buteco".
- Stop at the local square. Informations about the "Favela Bairro" urbanization project.
11:30 a.m./ 4:30 p.m. - Return to the hotel through all the south zone beaches.
- Final talks.
Everyday 9am - 2:00
Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Pick-up Point Note
From your hotel.
Provided byFavela Tour
FAVELA TOUR is an illuminating experience if you look for an insider point of view of Brazil. The tour introduces you to another Rio, within Rio city: the favela. There are close to 950 favelas in Rio. Mostly placed on former public areas on the hillsides, they are now home to 20% of Rio's population, however they remain a mystery for most people who don't live there. The tour is not only to explain about favelas, but to give you a whole new understanding about different aspects of Brazilian society.www.favelatour.com.br
Terms & Conditions
- The coupon will be valid for 12 months from the purchase date.
- General cancellation policy applies.
- This coupon is under general terms and conditions.